Sunday, January 5, 2014

Planning for the first week - 21 day Sugar Detox

So this morning I took my yes foods list and no foods list to the grocery store and did our shopping for the week. I don't do very well choosing exactly what I will cook on each day of the week, so instead I plan general ideas and then make what I feel like eating from that list through the week.

*One additional goal I have is to drink more water this week. I didn't do so well on water during break!

I went to two stores and used some meat I have in my freezer for my meal planning purposes.

Costco:

  • 5 lbs of red/yellow/orange bell peppers
  • Large bag of raw almonds
  • bag of brussel sprouts
  • bag of sweet kale salad (throw the cranberries and dressing away) plus I have a 1/2 bag of this leftover from last week

Aldi:

  • 2 12 oz bags of salted roasted almonds (watch for added ingredients like oils)
  • 4 cans of tomato paste (again, watch for added ingredients...just tomatoes and a citric acid for preservative)
  • green beans
  • brussel sprouts (these are big ones in a box, not a mini bag)
  • bag of lemons
  • head of cauliflower
  • 2 stalks of celery
  • hearts of romaine
  • 4 small zucchini
  • 1 package of nitrate free bacon
  • 2 dozen eggs
  • green bell peppers

In my freezer or pantry:

  • sausage with no additives (I have a 1/2 lb thawed that needs to be used this week)
  • steak (not thawed yet, so I'm not sure if I'll use this for week 1)
  • ground meat (use beef, but I have deer and elk right now to use up!)
  • homemade turkey broth
  • I still have 5 Aidell's Chicken Apple Sausage to use up this week
  • Turkey breast (not thawed yet, so I'm not sure if I'll use this for week 1)
  • pints of home-canned tomatoes
  • lots of herbs and spices

Now, for my plan for food.

Today I cooked a big crock pot of chili/sloppy joes.

  • 2 pints of tomatoes
  • 2 cans of clean tomato paste
  • 3 TBSP chili powder
  • 5 bell peppers (finely chopped)
  • 2 lbs of ground meat (I used deer meat)

Brown the meat in a skillet (deer is very lean, so no grease to drain off. If you cook beef you might need to drain some of the fat if there really is a lot). Add the beef to the large crockpot. Add in the chili powder, pints of tomatoes, cans of tomato sauce and chili powder. I used my new food processor to finely chop up 3 of my bell peppers. I left two of them a little less finely processed to give it a little more "body" and crunch. Cook on medium heat for a few hours.

I will eat this on lettuce wraps, with eggs as huevos rancheros for breakfast and even on salad as a "taco salad." This is my go-to meal for the week that I will eat most of the week.

Almond Milk

I also started to make almond milk. If you read the labels in the store, they add all kinds of sweeteners and preservatives and thickeners to the almond milk. True almond milk should be almonds and water. That's it. To start it off today I put 1 cup of raw almonds in a glass measuring cup and covered them with cold water. They will soak overnight tonight and after work tomorrow I will make the almond milk.

Also on the menu this week (I'll post recipes and pictures as I go through the week).
  • cauliflower rice
  • mashed cauliflower
  • stuffed peppers (stuffed with a mix of riced cauliflower, sausage and ground beef plus tomatoes)
  • breakfast scrambles
  • lots of brussel sprouts (oven roasted and pan sauteed with bacon)
  • carrots and celery plus salted, roasted almonds for snacks
  • grapefruits (one allowed per day) when I need something sweet. These are really good warmed up under the broiler for a few minutes.
I feel pretty ready to take on this challenge! What did you do to prepare?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment