Monday, February 18, 2013

Easy and Healthy Go-To Meals

I haven't had much time for blogging lately - I have been really busy with training and fundraising for the Team in Training event with Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.   Have I mentioned that I am training for a 1/2 marathon (Nike Women's Half DC on April 28) and that I am committed to raising $1550 for LLS?  

With all that (and work too) I have needed some quick and easy go-to meals while staying healthy.   Here is what I have been eating lately:

My version of Heuvos Rancheros - chopped up lettuce instead of tortilla or chips, sloppy joe/chili, topped with a fried egg and avocado.  DELICIOUS!  I have had this for breakfast on the go and even for a quick dinner after a run.   All it takes is to fry the eggs, warm up the chili and chop up the lettuce and avocado.  Sometimes I have avocado on hand, sometimes I add a little bacon on the side. :)
  

Chicken soup - last week I grabbed a rotisserie chicken.  Not the best sourced meat, but I needed some meat on the go... I ate the chicken breast in lettuce wraps, sliced and warmed, and I enjoyed the legs and wings too.  :)    But then I had the bones and a little meat on them leftover.  I boiled it with water, carrots and some peppercorns for about 45 minutes.  I strained the broth, added some chicken breast and frozen veggies.   Delicious in less than an hour.  I made 3 bowls of this and had it to heat up for lunch later in the week.

Lettuce wraps and taco salad - I cut up a head of iceberg lettuce into large leaves and packed them along with a bowl of the sloppy joe/chili.  Heat up the chili and spoon into the lettuce, roll up and enjoy!   The cold lettuce and the slightly spicy hot chili is a perfect combo!  These have been my go-to lunch for the last two weeks.  Sometimes I just cut up the lettuce though and it's kind of like nachos or a taco salad!  Top with whatever you have - tomatoes, avocados, salsa, etc.  Yum!
  
Grill something  - I love my George Foreman Grill!  I grilled some nitrate free apple chicken sausage, halves of zucchini and some thinly sliced sweet potato.  Dinner in under 10 minutes (and if you grill double the amount you have a lunch for the next day!)

Skillet stir fry - Throw together whatever meat and veggies you have, season and enjoy!  This stir fry has 1/2 zucchini, frozen broccoli, bell peppers, a couple of fresh tomatoes and chicken breast.   Less than 15 minutes and  you are enjoying a hot and healthy meal!
Frittata - I can always eat a yummy frittata.  These aren't as quick, but just as easy.  Less than an hour, usually feeds two-three depending on your pan size and the  number of eggs.  Throw in whatever meat and veggies you have.  This one has cabbage, tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, carrots and bacon.   I cooked each of those, layered them in the pan, covered them all with 6 eggs and baked till firm.  Yum!


Just because you are busy doesn't mean you can't eat well!   Plan ahead, and make a big batch of something you can eat lots of different ways.  You will enjoy your meals and nourish your body!

No comments:

Post a Comment