Monday, November 5, 2012

A Baby Shower Gift: Onesie Cupcakes

Today I had a baby shower for three awesome friends who are expecting new little ones in their lives. I found an awesome idea on Pinterest, of course, and I just had to try it out. This is a great alternative to a diaper cake, and a very cute way to present a simple gift.

Here is my inspiration: http://www.ourlittlecasita.com/2011/08/diy-cupcake-onesies-tutorial.html. This blog has great easy-to-follow instructions however I decided to skip a few steps and see if I could make it even easier

Since I was making three sets of four cupcake onesie packages I bought 12 onesies. I didn't want to use jumbo cupcake wrappers so I made sure to buy only newborn onesies.

First I took off all the tags so everything would fold up and rolled easily. Next I folded Each onesie into thirds and then that long skinny strip of onesie in half again. Starting at the end by the sleeves roll it tightly into a spiral, pulling the center up slightly to make the cupcake shape.

This is where I had to play around a little bit. Some of the onesies were made of thicker material. They didn't roll nearly as nicely as the super-thin Gerber onesies. I had to roll and reroll a couple of these until I got them just right! I skipped the step about the rubber band. It may have been easier I just tied it with a length of coordinated color ribbon around the spiral. Place it gently in the cupcake wrapper and you're done!

The next step is to find a cupcake box. I found mine at Michael's, a great craft store. You can find these in the cake decorating aisle near the cupcake wrappers. I was really surprised at all the patterns and coordinating cupcake wrappers that were available. The boxes hold for cupcakes each and are in packages of three so it was perfect for my shower gifts today. I added a tiny green adhesive rosette to the top of each cupcake. These were from the scrapbooking aisle. Tie each box with a coordinating color ribbon and ta-da! They're done!

Don't forget to pay attention to whether your friends are having boys or girls. Two of our friends haven't found out yet so they have green and yellow onesies and ribbon. Another friend already know she's having a girl so of course I chose to use lots of pink!

No comments:

Post a Comment