Monday, December 2, 2013

Clean Eating - Thanksgiving Edition

So Thanksgiving typically presents a challenge for clean eating.  Many of the "traditional" Thanksgiving foods are not gluten-free or unprocessed or not loaded with junk.  

Over the last three years my family has adjusted what we eat because of my change in eating habits and to help my dad control his sugar levels.   This has made it easier when we get together, it's not that different than what we normally eat.  

Here was our menu and it was amazing:

  • Butterflied (also called Spatchcocked) Turkey roasted in the oven with butter and thyme, parsley and sage.  We loosely followed this recipe.
  • Roasted sweet potatoes with honey, olive oil and cinnamon
  • Fresh green beans sauteed in butter
  • Potatoes mashed with garlic
  • Sweet potatoes mashed with cream and brown sugar
  • Cheese plate
  • Pickle plate 
  • Stuffing (the only thing on our dinner table that was not gluten free!) 
  • Pickled eggs and beets
  • Cranberry relish (fresh cranberries and orange)
  • Canned cranberry sauce 
  • Unsweet tea
  • Rappahannock Cellars Rose
And for dessert:
  • Homemade pumpkin pie with homemade whipped topping (whipped with almond extract) 
  • Hand-made and decorated pumpkin pie cookies from The Cookie Connoisseur.  

What also made this meal incredible was that it was a product of team-work.  I brought the turkey from Virginia, to my mom and dad's house where mom and I cooked it.  We brought the finished turkey, cheese plate, pickled eggs and beets, and cookies to my sister's house where these joined her dishes to produce this giant feast.  We had 5 adults and 3 kids and we seriously feasted!   :) Being together was super fun and having great food to nourish our bodies was even better! 


As for my eating - I stayed clean.  I had lots of the all good items listed above, a small amount of the mashed sweet potatoes and white potatoes (yum!) and avoided the stuffing.  To be honest, I didn't even miss it!   And for dessert I indulged in a yummy piece of pumpkin pie...minus the crust! And I felt amazing afterwards...none of that immediate desire to sleep off the meal that I've felt on Thanksgivings past.  




No comments:

Post a Comment