Friday, April 12, 2013

What it really is about....


I have known all along that this journey to be healthier was about more than just weight loss and smaller sizes.  Yesterday was a perfect reminder of the big picture.

Last year's Boosterthon FunRun (April 19, 2012) and this year's FunRun (April 11, 2013)

Yesterday was our Boosterthon FunRun at my school.  We are a high-needs school - most of my students don't speak English before they come to school, around 60% of my kids qualify for free or reduced lunch and we even send home food over the weekend so many of them will be able to eat over the days they aren't at school.  This is a FunRun - the kids get pledges if they can to help support our school, but on the day of the FunRun EVERYONE runs and participates.  Everyone cheers each other on.  We do one run for headstart, K and 1st.   Then another for 2nd, 3rd and 4th.  And finally another for 5th and 6th.   Each race is around a kid sized track (about 1/8 of a mile) and we run 25-35 laps.  I was out in the HOT sun for all 3 races with our kids.  Parents and teachers cheer them on, we have a dj, teachers run and walk and dance with our kids out there, we have a blast and it is an active fitness-based activity that we enjoy together!  

Best thing about the day:   I have these kiddos in 5th grade that I have worked with for the last three years.  Great kiddos, lots going on in their lives and a lot of little friends that just need extra love!   Today during the fun run, I ran a bunch of laps (not all 35 though) with my little guy I mentor, and we finished his 35 laps (each lap is about an 1/8 of a mile).  And just then another little guy says to me (from his class) - Hey Ms. S - will you run with me too?  I only need 5 more laps!   OH MY GOODNESS how can you say no to that?   SO I did, even though I was already over 12K steps and hot (nearly 90 today), I ran with my buddy.  And when we finished and I was walking a cool down lap with him, ANOTHER friend said to me....I think I'm done, this is all I can do, I can't finish, I want to sit down.  So of course I encouraged him and did the last 6 laps with him!!   I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that I am able to be out there and run and encourage the kids this way!

This is a fundraiser for our school but it is about so much more!  Our parents come and cheer on the kids.  We promote leadership, character and fitness for the 2 weeks of the Boosterthon.  I am so excited that I can do so much when those kids need a little cheering on.  It seriously makes me tear up it is so incredible.  

That is what this weight loss journey is all about.  THIS.  Showing our kids that they can have a healthy lifestyle.   That we can make a change and meet the goals we set for ourselves.

*smile*

I finished the day with 17,000 steps, 7.5 miles and the warmest feeling in my heart.  Totally worth the sunburn I got!

No comments:

Post a Comment