Monday, March 25, 2013

Sweet Potato Fries and Chips

Lately I have really wanted some crunch - sweet potatoes are a good substitute for potatoes or other crunchy junk.  :)   But most of the packaged pre-made kinds are cooked in canola oil or sunflower oil.  The sunflower oil is probably ok, but not being sure of the process of it....or what other chemical additives are included is not something I enjoy eating anymore!  Or they are dusted in sugar!

Soo, I started out by peeling a small pile of sweet potatoes.  This is the first time I've made my own chips!  

Cut the sweet potatoes into small thin slices (I don't have a mandolin so I used my cheese slicer.  Talk about a hazard!  Be careful not to slice your knuckles!) or sticks for fries.

I heated about 1/3 of a jar of Coconut Oil in a large, deep, heavy steel pan.  I chose a deep pan because i didn't want any splattering or splashing out. The heavy duty steel pan heats evenly and slowly.  I heated my oil on medium-high, but after the first batch I turned it a little closer to medium then medium-high.  My coconut oil was solid when I scooped it out of the jar, but it liquefied really quickly.  It was such a clear, pure oil in the pan!
Add a small batch of slices.  They don't take very long to cook - between 30 seconds and a minute probably.   Scoop them out with a slotted spoon (or a mesh scoop if you have one!) and onto a paper towel to drain the excess oil.


I did the chips in small batches.  They need space to avoid touching each other.  Be sure to dry them off on paper towels so the oil doesn't make them soggy.

Next I added the fries.  These cooked for a couple of minutes.

Look how yummy these treats look!   Definitely not an everyday food, but much better to have control over the ingredients in these sweet potato fries and chips!   Add some coarsely ground sea salt and they are yummmmmmy!



No comments:

Post a Comment