Thursday, July 3, 2014

Woven Bacon Pizza


I made the most delicious summer dinner tonight!  The other night I saw this recipe for a bacon crust pizza.  I couldn't wait to try it!   My basil plant has been producing lots of basil - giant leaves!   Yum!  So it was a perfect evening, after the storm, for bacon crust margherita pizza!

First, I wove the bacon into a sheet and followed directions for the Ketogenic Pizza and baked it.  While it was in the oven I made my sauce.

I used a pint of Tomato Basil sauce that I canned last year, added 2 cans of clean tomato paste and a handful of fresh basil plus a Tbsp of balsamic vinegar.  I simmered it until it was thick.  Yum!

Then I prepped my toppings.  I tore the basil into medium chunks. I sliced tomatoes thin and chunked up the mozzarella.

After the bacon crust was finished baking, I transferred it to the pizza stone and added the toppings: first a layer of sauce, then the basil, then the tomatoes and finally the cheese.  I stuck it in the oven under the broiler for just a few minutes until the cheese was starting to brown.

DELICIOUS!

I served it with a tomato, basil, mozzarella and balsamic salad.  With Pom Hula Sun Tea and a Meritage from Cobbler Mountain Winery.  Delicious dinner!



No comments:

Post a Comment