Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Zucchini Lasagna


So I like lasagna...or I should say, I liked it.  I used to like it a lot.  But the noodles are not something I eat anymore because of the gluten.  And the gluten-free noodles usually just have a bunch of junk in them...


I haven't had lasagna in at least 2 years.  And I wanted some!   My mom brought a giant zucchini as a house warming gift when we moved into our new place.  PERFECT!

I made a small one of these last week and it was delicious and decided to make a new one. Some of these photos are from the small pan and some are from the big casserole pan I made.

*This isn't Paleo because it includes the cheese.  If you don't tolerate cheese well, this will probably be delicious without it!

I recently bought a mandolin - and I love all the slicing and shredding I can do with it!  I used the thin slicer blade and sliced the giant zucchini into "noodles."


I lined the pan with the sliced noodles.  Trim them to make the perfect size and line the pan completely.

I prepped all my other ingredients and put them out so layering would be easy.  Brown some sausage.
Chop some bell peppers (and other vegetables if you'd like) and saute them in the sausage pan.

Tomatoes and tomato sauce - make sure you choose a low sugar option.  I used the Tomato Basil sauce that I canned. This has no added sugar and I love the flavor it adds to everything I make!  I also used diced tomatoes with green chilies to add a little heat and spice.
On top of my "noodles" I added sausage, peppers, tomatoes, sauce and cheese.  Then another layer of noodles and repeat until the pan is full.   Finish with cheese on top.   I used a combination of sharp cheddar and mozzarella.

(on the first one of these I made I had some fresh jalepenos so I chopped those
 and put them on top at the end)

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour for a small pan.  Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes for the deep 9x13 pan until it's bubbly and browned on top!   Enjoy!

This keeps well in the fridge and reheats well.  We have been packing it and taking it for our lunches this week and eating it for dinner.  You  might find a little extra liquid in your lasagna after you serve the first dish full.   This is just the liquid that cooks out of the zucchini.  After you serve the first bit, just drain off the liquid or dip it out with a ladle before you cover and refrigerate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment