Thursday, December 12, 2013

Handmade Christmas Cards

One of my favorite parts of Christmas is exchanging cards with my family and friends.  I take great pride and make my own cards each year from materials from Close to My Heart.  I love hand writing the addresses and the inside of the cards, taking the time and effort to make something to show I care.  It's a long process and each step is done with love.

First - I decide on a design. Usually I look through pinterest, catalogs and collect ideas.  This year I found a design in the Close to my Heart catalog. I loved and HAD to use that stamp!  I ordered my materials and started to get so excited!

My first step was to cut everything - small rectangles of olive, ruby, colonial white and Kraft.  I also folded my card bases and cut my bakers twine to the proper length.

Then I started stamping - the main stamp for the front is why I wanted to make this card from the start!


and the sentiment inside the cards:

and the address (on the back flap) and decoration on the envelope:

and the small snowflakes on the top 1/3 of the card front:

After all the stamping, it's time to start assembling.  Add the olive and ruby strips to the front of the card:

Then put the Merry and Bright on the Kraft paper.

Wrap the base of the kraft paper with the baker's twine.
Add the sparkles at the top left and on the bakers twine.

Use foam adhesive to give dimension to the kraft, adhere to the front of the card.

Then I hand address and sign them and add a stamp!  Off to the post office they go!

This week was fantastic since I had a snow day to finish up my cards and get them out.  I usually aim for the weekend after Thanksgiving, but this year I was a week behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment